Wednesday, July 24, 2013

i moved (again)

to San Francisco. If you didn’t notice. Which you probably did because I upload a stupid amount of photos of this beautiful city because I just gotta be real and say that I absolutely love it out here.

(beer is good too)


It’s not a secret that I wasn’t the biggest fan of New York City…and I have tried to assess why without being rude and offensive to the people that live there and love it. And, actually, the exact reasons why some people love that city are probably why I hate it.

In short:

  1. I didn’t like that I could live in the same city as my college bffs and be a 45 minute subway ride from them. The place is too damn big. (Positive spin: city so big with so much happening that you can do literally anything, anytime. Like actually.)
  2. The people were pretty mean, guys. Like, not everyone OBVIOUSLY. I made some incredible new friends while being in the city (hi roomies,) and some of my best friends live there and are not mean at all. But, in general, the vibe of most people around me was pretty damn rude. And when people are rude to me I get rude. When people bump me in the subway I get angry. Long story short: NYC makes me a pretty big z-ing bitch okay! (Positive: some people can just deal with this without it affecting their entire being. I’m not one of them.)
  3. The work culture was very high stress. In my opinion, unnecessarily so. It’s kind of a city where people brag about how shit their lives are, and that, somehow, means they have won the conversation. (Neutral point: there are people like this in every city…but I have moved around quite a bit in the last year just felt it to be rampant in this one.)
  4. I talked about the subway in my last post. And, like, come on. What do you want me to say. It’s hot and slow and people touch you like, a lot. (Positive: ………sorry. No.)

That’s the short of it…and it’s not like I’ve never been to NYC before. I’ve been many times, and I always thought I was going to end up there one day, and I was okay with that. But, something changed after I experienced San Francisco.

You all know I lived here in the Fall (October-December,) and I just fell in love with the place. I think one of the biggest things is that the people here ARE NICE.

They ask me what my name is (and remember it!!) They ask where I’m from, what my story is, etc etc. And I’m not talking about colleagues I’m talking about cabbies, and people in line for a grilled cheese. There’s a cable car guy that waves to me every morning on my commute. The vibe here is just…nicer. One of the closest things to an on the street argument I have seen thus far is when two people bumped into each other and they BOTH profusely apologized!

This is not to say there aren’t mean people…and I will probably yell at one one day, but by my third week in NYC I had probably yelled at 35 people and tweeted a snide, offensive remark about 40 others. (Only a slight exaggeration.) And I’m celebrating week 3 here and all I want to do is see more, do more, and talk more.

So, I think living in San Francisco was just the nail in NYC’s coffin. All I could do was compare, and in my mind there was a clear winner. I think if I never came out here I would have been okay in NYC (maybe a tad bitchier,) but I think I would have been happy eventually.

But, I’m back here. Across the country from my friends and family, which is definitely the worst part of this whole situation. But, I wake up in a city I want to explore and if luck will have it I’m hoping to stay.

This is my last quarter. My last internship! Mid September I will graduate and finally emerge into the real world after my extra 2 years of school. It’s so weird, but a very welcome idea for me.

I want to settle! I want a bedroom. I want a bed and kitchen utensils that are MINE! I want to break a wine glass and not feel the guilt that I broke someone else’s wine glass but instead just the crippling sadness that I broke my own beloved nectar of the god’s glass.

So, send me some good job hiring vibes people.

I’m going to keep updating. I’m sorry this one was kind of a snooze but it’s just my reintroduction back into the ~city by the bay~

I’ll soon be tackling topics such as San Francisco’s Summerless Summer and the fact that these hills might actually be the death of me. Also: garlic fries. What is the z-ing deal with garlic fries.

Until then,
xo tay


No comments:

Post a Comment